Administration of Jalgaon
Jalgaon city previously came under the administration of the Jalgaon Municipal Council which was established on 24th November 1864. The city's first election was conducted in which 6 members were elected. On 23rd March 1909, Late Shri Abaji Ragho Mahlas became the first Council President. Later on the Supreme Court cleared the Corporation formation on 14th February 2003 which lead to the formation of the Corporation. The State Government in its notification announced formation of "Jalgaon Municipal Corporation" with effect from 21st March 2003. Ashatai Kolhe was the first Lady Mayor of Jalgaon Municipal Corporation.
Jalgaon City Municipal Corporation
M.G.Road, Nehru Chowk,
Jalgaon 425 001, India
Tahsils and PanchayatsJalgaon Municipal Corporation has four sub-divisions under it, one of which is the city Jalgaon. Jalgaon further has four Tahsils under it, Jalgaon, Jamner, Erandol, Dharangaon. There are also a number of village Panchayats under each division. Jalgaon has a total of 43 village panchayats.
Work done by the Corporation
- Jalgaon Municipal Corporation has E-governance facility for property tax, citizen facilitation centre etc.
- Jalgaon City Municipal Corporation has affected goods entry based Cess tax in Jalgaon City which has made mandatory for registered traders importing goods under then Corporation and filling monthly returns.
- They have set up the city development plan to look after the maintenance of the city.
Roles of the CorporationThe Corporation is responsible for overseeing that all the constituencies have the basic civic infrastructure in place, and that there is no lack on the part of the authorities. The mayor heads the party with the largest vote. The Corporation has made various departments for each task. Various departments include public relations, health, gardens, finance, public works, buildings, slums, local audit, roads, street lighting, legal services, water etc manage their specific activities.
Few of their tasks are :
- To maintain the street lighting, parks and open spaces.
- Building and maintenance of roads, flyovers etc.
- To look after the sewage treatment plan as well as disposal in proper way
- Maintaining the cleanliness of the street, city.
- Urban development and city planning of new areas.
- Registering of births and deaths.